1. Smart Phone with GPS – A smart phone is an information and communication portal that will likely save your rear end someday. My smart phone has certainly saved mine a time or two. Here are some of the basic functions of most modern smart phones:
- Maps and GPS
- Internet access (Google, email, etc.)
- Can be used in the dark as a flashlight
- Clock (with an alarm)
- Note taking (voice recorder)
- Music and movie player (for entertainment)
- Clean hands and other body parts
- Disinfect small cuts and scrapes
- Clean various surfaces (public toilet seats, gas pumps, windshield, etc.)
- Remove small stains from clothing, upholstered furniture, etc.
- Remove makeup
- $100 cash
- Spare photo identification
- $100 prepaid visa
- Emergency phone numbers
- Knife edge
- Can opener
- 4 position wrench
- Butterfly screw wrench
- Saw blade
- Keep leftovers fresh
- Keep dry things dry when you’re around water (wallet, electronics, etc)
- Separate dirty, smelly clothes from clean clothes in your suitcase
- Organize things like socks, toiletries, small electronics, etc.
- A simple wallet replacement – Just wrap a rubber band around your cash and cards and stick them in your pocket.
- Keep any wires or small objects in your suitcase organized and untangled.
- A bookmark
- Use a rubber band to strap an injured finger to a firm stick or piece of cardboard until it can be properly casted.
- A safety strap for eye glasses
- Drink it when you’re thirsty
- Cleaning/rinsing agent (lots of possibilities here)
- Pour it into your rental car’s cooling system if it’s overheating.
- Put out a small fire (non grease or electrical).
- Screw driver
- Bit driver
- Wire cutters
- Wood/metal file
- Charge your phone
- Charge your camera
- Compression on a injured limb
- Bandage for an open wound or burn
- Tie things together
- Makeshift glove or grip
Hundreds of students cram into the gymnasium at Huazhong University of Science and Technology for their graduation ceremony
A Chinese student appears to run across water at his graduation ceremony in Wuhan City
Graduates leap into the air on the flooded lakeside park
A man cycles near a boat. Flood-hit Hubei Province is braced for more downpours
A group photo shows the water is really only ankle-deep
- “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.”
- “Imagination is more important than knowledge.”
- “Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love.”
- “The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax.”
- “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
- “The only real valuable thing is intuition.”
- “A person starts to live when he can live outside himself.”
- “Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.”
- “I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.”
- “The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility.”
- “Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing.”
- “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.”
- “Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds.”
- “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.”
- “Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.”
- “Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one’s living at it.”
- “The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.”
- “The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.”
- “The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking.”
- “Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.”
- “Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.”
- “The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible.”
- “We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.”
- “Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.”
- “The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.”
- “Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater.”
- “Equations are more important to me, because politics is for the present, but an equation is something for eternity.”
- “If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.”
- “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the the universe.”
- “As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.”
- “Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”
- “I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”
- “In order to form an immaculate member of a flock of sheep one must, above all, be a sheep.”
- “The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there’s no risk of accident for someone who’s dead.”
- “Too many of us look upon Americans as dollar chasers. This is a cruel libel, even if it is reiterated thoughtlessly by the Americans themselves.”
- “Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism — how passionately I hate them!”
- “No, this trick won’t work…How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?”
- “My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.”
- “Yes, we have to divide up our time like that, between our politics and our equations. But to me our equations are far more important, for politics are only a matter of present concern. A mathematical equation stands forever.”
- “The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking…the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.”
- “Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.”
- “The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.”
- “Now he has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion.”
- “You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat.”
- “One had to cram all this stuff into one’s mind for the examinations, whether one liked it or not. This coercion had such a deterring effect on me that, after I had passed the final examination, I found the consideration of any scientific problems distasteful to me for an entire year.”
- “…one of the strongest motives that lead men to art and science is escape from everyday life with its painful crudity and hopeless dreariness, from the fetters of one’s own ever-shifting desires. A finely tempered nature longs to escape from the personal life into the world of objective perception and thought.”
- “He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder.”
- “A human being is a part of a whole, called by us ‘universe’, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest… a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.”
- “Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
Thankfully there are some fantastic resources out there to inspire positive thinking. It’s websites like DLM that help to inspire the change that I myself have been in search of for all these years. Below I would like to share with you some (hopefully) insightful life lessons that if consciously practiced can also help to inspire positive change.
The secret to happiness is to accept everything in your life completely and to let go of the baggage. It only seems difficult, but it's not. Happiness is a choice we make regardless of the imperfections in our lives. Happiness cannot be ours until we wake up to the truth that we are perfect beings living in a world that presents imperfections.
You are not your problems...problems are a fact of life, we all face them, we will always endure hard times, and this is never going to change. If you cannot be happy, it is simply because you have identified with your problems on an intimate level and made a home for them inside your mind. Wake up...change your thoughts...change your life...the only way to live your life is to accept that troubles are a part of it...only then can you let go and move on when they arise. I have never met a happy person that claimed to have zero problems.
I don’t like to hear people use the phrases “this too will pass” or “time is a great healer.” I honestly believe that if we’re waiting for better times to come in the future or are waiting for sorrow to pass, then quite simply we are not doing anything to help ourselves move on. The only way to conquer sorrow or hard times is to accept they are here, to accept that we are hurting and once we completely accept it, only then can we let go and move on.
- Limitless Mind
I spend most of my waking moments, studying, analyzing, contemplating and questioning everything that I experience through my limited senses. I don’t rely on intellectual knowledge for the answers to reality. Reality is not what we think it is. Reality is what happens when we wake up to the fact that there is no truth, there is only perception, and our reality is a complete and utter fabricated lie if we don’t accept that our limitations are created in our mind.
- Reaction Control
We create our outside reality by the thoughts and beliefs we maintain about life in general. What we believe in our inner world will be duplicated in our outer world, not the other way around. We all have problems and often we are tested by circumstances and situations outside of our control, but when this happens, try to remember that even though you may not be in control of what’s going on outside of you all the time, you most definitely can control your reaction to whatever situation you are faced with…the power will always be in your control whether you realize it or not.
We have the power because our inner world (cause) affects the influence we allow the outer world (effect) to have on us. So next time you hear somebody mention that you have great personal power, they are 100% correct, because you are always in control of your reality...always.
When you always expect your life to unfold in accordance to what is best for you at the time, then you will ultimately accept that every obstacle you face is a chance to grow and learn. Sometimes even the seemingly worst circumstances can turn out to be a blessing in disguise...life is a matter of perception - perception is a matter of mind.
- Doubtful Mind
We judge ourselves, doubt ourselves, criticize ourselves and pretty much tell ourselves why we aren’t good enough to go out and accomplish what we truly want in life. We wouldn’t allow anybody else to talk to us in that way so why do we allow our doubtful mind to. Monitor your self-talk and take the necessary steps to weed out this self-defeating behavior. You are NOT your mind, you are the controller of your mind.
- Journey Well
Try not to put too much of your focus on arriving at your destination. We know life is about the journey and not the arrival. We don’t need to arrive if we accept that we are already here. Be happy and content where you are today and don’t make the mistake of putting off being happy because you are waiting for the right moment to shine. Travel well today and consciously make the effort to enjoy the journey. It is better to travel well than it is to arrive. Not everyone woke up this morning and not everyone will go to bed tonight. Life has no guarantees, every minute you are living is a blessing that has to be experienced in the moment…in the now…it’s not always easy, but it’s always an option…a choice…your choice.
We attach emotion and therefore meaning to the situations and circumstances in our lives, thus, we reinforce our beliefs about those things. I know this is obvious, but maybe it is not as clear-cut as we may think. If we step back and detach our emotions from situations and look at them purely from a logical standpoint, we will see that there is good and bad in everything we perceive. There is always two sides to the coin and each side is presented to us at different times. One person will perceive a situation as bad where another will perceive it as good. The situation itself is neutral but our beliefs, judgments and prejudices are the defining characteristics for the outcomes.
Take a look at the troublesome circumstances you find yourself in on a regular basis and ask yourself if it is time to take a different approach. Sometimes we automatically react in the same way out of habit and never get past these problems. Ask yourself if it is really worth it to continue seeing these problems in the same way. Is it time to shift from the side of the coin you so often focus on to the other side.
Remember…the situation will not change as a fact, but when your perspective changes then the situation will ultimately change in your mind’s eye, and we know that our mind creates reality. Even if it seems like an impossible task you must consciously make the effort. It will seem very difficult at times but always remember that it is just your perceptions you have to overcome and not the external task we face. This may not seem a plausible solution to every situation but any effort no matter how small is a step in the right direction. Retrain your mind to see your habitual reactions to troubles in your life from a new viewpoint. Have a wonderful and productive day.
- Don't Exist...Live...
It is very important for us to break free from the control of external things. We cannot fall victim to outside circumstances. It benefits our lives in no way when we willingly give up our own personal power to things outside of ourselves that we have little or no control over. We all have personal powerful, just make sure you don’t give up yours by not accepting you have power to begin with.
Nobody on this entire planet has more rights to live their lives on their own terms than you do. Accept the world for what it IS and not for what you want it to be. You control the world by taking control of yourself…that’s how it’s done. Being who YOU are is all you have to be. I truly believe that it is a rare thing for people to “live”, simply because we are influenced more by the external than the internal. To be a victim to outside circumstances is to EXIST, but to be influenced by the internal is to LIVE . If you haven’t consciously done so yet, start today by making goddamn sure you give yourself the LOVE and RESPECT that you undoubtedly deserve. Give it to yourself FIRST, then accept it from the outside.
- Own your Mind Business...
Remember...'YOU' and not the events that happen today will determine how good or bad your day will be. Make it your goal to not let anyone or anything affect your day in a negative way...your mind is the government of the 50 trillion cells in your body and your thoughts will determine whether these cells live in a healthy community or a community of unease. Remember…You are NOT your mind, YOU are the controller of your mind.